Imagine yourself using water from a single tank for your hydration needs. Try doing this for 24 hours & imagine what it must be like to live under such conditions every day often with dirty water instead of clean water.
The old proverb “spending money like water”, should to be altered to “spending water like money.”
Using water sensibly & efficiently will reduce service costs for distributing water, defer the need for new dams and supply systems also our household water charges and energy billsSo we should pool little efforts and start working to battle against water waste.
The shortage of rain this year indicates “stretching the water we have”.
THE GOOD NEWS…it’s easy to save! Here are some simple ways to reduce the quantity of water that we use at home, equally inside and outside.
- Use “toilet” for toilet business only.
- Turn off water while shaving, brushing teeth and washing your hair.
- Plug the sink instead of running the water to clean your razor.
- When washing hands, turn the water off while you lather.
- Take five-minute shower instead of 10 minute shower.
- Block the bathtub when water is halfway or less.
- Use the washing machine for full loads to save water and energy. Set up a water-efficient clothes washer.
- No need to water outdoors if it rains.
- Water plants early morning or in evening when temperatures are cooler.
- Water intensely but less frequently to build healthier and stronger lands.
- Wash cars with a bucket, hose with self-closing nozzle or a sponge
- check the sprinkler system often also adjust them so only your lawn is watered and not house, street or sidewalk.
- Put a layer of peat round the trees, plants to lessen evaporation and keep the soil cool.
- Don’t use running water to soften food instead keep a water jug in the refrigerator?
- Wash fruits and vegetables in a pan to avoid wastage
- Cook food in as little water as possible.
- Run dishwasher only when required also it uses less water than washing dishes by hand.
- Fill-in one basin with wash water and another one with rinse water for less usage.
FEW MORE DO’S
- Demand a free audit from local water supplier.
- Check for unusually high use of water and water meters often to detect leaks.
- Keep restroom fittings in good condition.
- Setup drought tolerant plants where lawn is not needed.